Proctored Exam Instructions for Students
STEP 1: SELECT A PROCTOR
Find an exam proctor near your home or place of business with a reliable high-speed internet connection. We recommend full-time P-12 teachers/administrators.
Qualified off-campus proctors include:
- certified public librarians, full-time P-12 teachers/administrators/counselors
- faculty members at regionally accredited 4-year and 2-year colleges and universities
- testing centers at regionally accredited 4-year and 2-year colleges and universities
- military: base commander, commanding officer or station education officer.
Off-campus proctors may not be:
- family members or relatives.
- coworkers or immediate supervisors. However, teacher candidates such as paraeducators who are already working in a school system may request a proctor from the school at which they work but not immediate supervisors or teachers you assist on a regular basis.
- religious leaders (pastors, priests, etc.), other students or attorneys
STEP 2: SECURE A PROCTOR
Please be aware that some proctors and/or the institutions or organizations they represent may legally require compensation for their services. Sterling College accepts no financial responsibility for proctors. If you wish to utilize a proctor who requires compensation, you will be solely responsible for such costs. If a prospective proctor wants more information up front, please share the following link with them: https://online.sterling.edu/proctor-instructions/
Communicate with your proctor regarding time and location several weeks before and during the week of the exam.
You are strongly encouraged to take your exam during Sterling College Online’s hours of operation:
- Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Central time
If an emergency prevents you from taking the exam during its scheduled time, contact your proctor and your instructor as soon as possible. Alternative times can be arranged, but prompt notification is essential.
STEP 3: COMPLETE THE PROCTORED EXAM FORM (see button below)
STEP 4: COMPLETE THE EXAM
Make sure you are prepared to complete the exam when you arrive to take it. The exam must be completed at one sitting, and it may not be retaken. Your proctor should ask you for a picture ID to confirm your identity.
When taking exams, you are expected to adhere to the “Academic Integrity” policy of the Sterling College Academic Catalog.
To adhere to the “Academic Integrity” policy of Sterling College, you must turn off and place out of sight all study aids, materials, and devices that are prohibited during an examination. This includes cell phones and other media devices.
If your Internet connection is lost while you are taking your exam, tell your proctor immediately.
NEXT STEPS FOR NOW
- Arrange a qualified proctor.
- Fill out the form by clicking the button below.